The Childbearing Year
"The whole point of woman-centered birth is the knowledge that a woman is the birth power source.
She may need, and deserve, help, but in essence, she always had, currently has, and will have the power."
~ Heather McCue
If you are interested in exploring the possibility of working together please contact Santa Barbara Midwifery & Birth Center to schedule an initial consultation and/or tour. This is an opportunity for us to meet and get acquainted, for you to find out what we have to offer, and for us to address your questions. There is no charge for the initial consultation.
The services provided by Inner Light Midwifery are personalized to suit the needs of each family, and will typically consist of the following:
- Family planning and preconception counseling
- Nutritional counseling
- Comprehensive prenatal care, including all physical assessments and labs
- Prenatal visits every 4 weeks until 28 weeks, every 2 weeks from 28-36 weeks, and every week from 36 weeks until you have your baby
- Home visit at 36 weeks
- Articles and handouts related to pregnancy, birth, and beyond
- Unlimited email and phone availability
- Free lending library of books and videos on pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding and parenting
- Referrals to holistic health providers, community resources, and higher levels of care when needed
- 24/7 on call availability for your labor and birth, from three weeks before through two weeks after your due date
- Continuous labor support in your home from the time that active labor is established until your baby is born
- Two birth attendants, including the primary midwife and an assistant
- Family-centered home birth, including waterbirth if desired
- Immediate postpartum care in your home until both you and the baby are stable and settled, breastfeeding has been established, a thorough newborn exam has been completed, and all of your questions have been addressed
- A minimum of three postpartum visits - these typically take place in your home during the first 2 weeks, and in our office at 6 weeks postpartum
- Breastfeeding support
- Newborn procedures, including the filing of the birth certificate, hearing screen, metabolic screen, and congenital heart defect screening
- Close phone contact during the postpartum period